When sleigh bells are ringing and the phones aren’t it can be hard to stay focused at work. The holiday lull has hit us again, but this year instead of shopping online or frequenting the office cookie stash we’d like to offer some inspiration and ideas to ponder. With the new year approaching, what better time to reflect. Is your current job serving you?
1. BUILD YOUR BRAND ON SOCIAL MEDIA
LinkedIn, Twitter, Meetup.com, Facebook.
• Puhleaase!!!! Complete your professional profile on LinkedIn. People that want to hire you can’t find you if you don’t. Have your LinkedIn content mirror your resume and be specific. Add a professional picture(please reference THIS ARTICLE if you are not sure what that means).
• If you are having trouble filling out your summary or elaborating on work experience, think backwards. How would a potential employer find you if they were looking for a specialist in your field? Are you making it easy on them? Is your contact info available?
• Is to make your presence consistent across social media channels. You are your brand and this is your self-marketing effort. Keep profile pictures and messaging consistent.
2. ATTEND HOLIDAY PARTIES AND NETWORKING EVENTS
• Dress sharp and don’t forget your business cards. Drink and eat in moderation. Come up with things you want to share about yourself with others. Simple questions like “How’s the family?” or “What plans do you have for next year?” can really get a conversation going.
• If there is someone at the event you would like to meet, don’t be shy and ask for an introduction. Also, this is an opportunity to build relationships, so don’t focus your conversation entirely on business! Get to know people on a personal and professional level….relax, it’s the holidays!
3. BECOME A MASTER OF YOUR CRAFT
• Get involved in a way you havent before. If you feel like a generalist identify an area you can specialize in. Read trade magazines, books and follow blogs on the latest industry trends. Attend local industry-specific meet up groups (www.meetup.com)
• Never forget to dream. What do you actually want to do and why? Now write it down in detail. Are you getting close to achieving this dream? Will your current job get you there? Are fears keeping you from your dream? What’s holding you back? How much do you have to lose?
5. SET GOALS
• Make a list of top 3 things you want to achieve in 2015.
• Set reminders in your calendar and hold yourself accountable.
• New hobby? More networking events? NEW JOB?!
• A goal without a plan is just a wish. Success is yours for the taking.